Friday, December 17, 2010

UMNO, party of honourable men???

“What they did was shameful, despicable and a disgrace to our parliamentary democracy. We are all honourable, don't cheat la. They are not honourable, they are dishonourable. They are cheaters and liars,” he said. [Nazri Aziz's comment on the ruckus caused by the Opposition during the December 16 Parliament session].

This reminds me of the speech made by Mark Anthony at Julius Casesar's funeral where he described Brutus [and his conspirators] being honourable men.

"Here, under leave of Brutus and the rest,
(For Brutus is an honourable man;
So are they all; all honourable men)
Come I to speak in Caesar's funeral ...
He was my friend, faithful and just to me:
But Brutus says he was ambitious;
And Brutus is an honourable man….
He hath brought many captives home to Rome,
Whose ransoms did the general coffers fill:
Did this in Caesar seem ambitious?
When that the poor have cried, Caesar hath wept:
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff:
Yet Brutus says he was ambitious;
And Brutus is an honourable man.
You all did see that on the Lupercal
I thrice presented him a kingly crown,
Which he did thrice refuse: was this ambition?
Yet Brutus says he was ambitious;
And, sure, he is an honourable man."

I particularly love the way in which Mark Anthony was able to turn the word honourable around to in fact mean dishonourable. In fact, I always find it amusing when I hear British Members of Parliament [including ours] talking about their Honourable Friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment