Saturday, November 26, 2011
Friday, November 25, 2011
Tuesday, November 22, 2011
So the Peaceful Assembly Bill was tabled this morning. Somehow or other, there are gray areas which I believe UMNO will exploit to make any assembly unworkable. Among the main points of the proposed law are, with my views highlighted in bold, within parenthesis:
- 30 days' advance notice for assemblies, except for those in designated areas as defined by the home minister. [Even if a 30-day notice is given, there is no guarantee that it will be approved. Furthermore, where are the designated areas? Will these areas be those not conducive to hold any assembly? My guess is that Petaling Street, Jalan Tun Perak, Jalan Pudu and Jalan Bukit Bintang will not be those designated areas].
- After notification, the assemblies can proceed, unless there are objections from the police [which in most cases there will be. This is so subjective]
- No street protests are allowed [Refer to my remarks under the first bullet point].
- No protests in or anywhere in a 50-metre buffer zone around prohibited areas defined in a list, which includes hospitals, schools and places of worship [If no street protests are allowed, then this item is deemed irrelevant. But why this prohibition when MCA was so sure that no tear gas or chemical laced water shot into the Tong Shin Hospital? Aha, so it was a lie after all].
- Section 8 allows a police officer 'to take such measures he/she deems necessary' to ensure compliance [Doesn't this sound arbitrary?]
- Section 9(5) allows the police to fine organisers up to RM10,000 if no advance notice of a planned assembly is given to the police [For not giving notice and UMNO wants to impose a fine of RM10k on the organisers? Right now the practice is "no permit, no assembly". Even with such a prohibition, organisers will still proceed and will be all too willing to pay the fine, if the cause is a noble cause to take up, like clean elections].
- Section 20(1)(c) allows police to arrest anyone who brings, allows to come or recruits children for an assembly [another arbitrary move].
- Section 21(3) allows the police to fine those arrested up to RM20,000 [So this is one way to deter participation, is it?]
- Those under 21 years of age are not allowed to organise assemblies [Why not? People below this age group are already in the know of what is happening around them, socially and politically, especially with the information flow coming from the internet. This part of the bill is so condescending.] and
- Children under 15 are not allowed to take part in assemblies, except in cultural or religious events such as funeral corteges or events approved by the home minister.
Mark my words. This is the man who in most likelihood will bring down the Pakatan Rakyat state government in Selangor. Hasan Ali, who is in charge of Islamic Affairs in the state exco has once again re-ignited his "hate Christians" stance by coming out with a ridiculous accusation that Christians are now using solar operated gadgets to convert Muslims in the country. With barely 10% of the population who are Christians, this dysfunctional Muslim chap is already going bonkers. What if the Christian population is, say 20%. I dread to think what he would do to the community. But looking at the issue with a positive note, at least, the Christians are way ahead technologically and not mentally regressive as this fella.
Monday, November 21, 2011
also in recent years your tendency to elect incompetent Presidents of the USA and
therefore not able to govern yourselves, we hereby give notice of the revocation of your
independence, effective immediately. (You should look up 'revocation' in
the Oxford English Dictionary.)
Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II will resume monarchical duties
over all states, commonwealths, and territories (except Kansas, which she
does not fancy).
Your new Prime Minister, David Cameron, will appoint a Governor for America
without the need for further elections. Congress and the Senate will be
A questionnaire may be circulated sometime next year to determine whether
any of you noticed. To aid in the transition to a British Crown dependency, the following
rules are introduced with immediate effect:
1. The letter 'U' will be reinstated in words such as 'colour,'
'favour,' 'labour' and 'neighbour.' Likewise, you will learn to spell
'doughnut' without skipping half the letters, and the
suffix '-ize' will be replaced by the suffix '-ise.' Generally, you will
be expected to raise your vocabulary to acceptable levels (look up 'vocabulary').
communication. There is no such thing as U.S. English. We will let Microsoft know
3. July 4th will no longer be celebrated as a holiday.
4. You will learn to resolve personal issues without using guns, lawyers,
or therapists. The fact that you need so many lawyers and therapists shows that you're
not quite ready to be independent. Guns should only be used for shooting grouse. If you
can't sort things out without suing someone or speaking to a therapist, then you're
not ready to shoot grouse.
5. Therefore, you will no longer be allowed to own or carry anything more
dangerous than a vegetable peeler. Although a permit will be required if you wish to
carry a vegetable peeler in public.
6. All intersections will be replaced with roundabouts, and you will start driving
metrication will help you understand the British sense of humour.
7. The former USA will adopt UK prices on petrol (which you have been
calling gasoline) of roughly $10/US gallon. Get used to it.
8. You will learn to make real chips. Those things you call French
fries are not real chips, and those things you insist on calling potato chips are properly
called crisps. Real chips are thick cut, fried in animal fat, and dressed not with catsup
but with vinegar.
9. The cold, tasteless stuff you insist on calling beer is not actually
beer at all. Henceforth, only proper British Bitter will be referred to as
beer, and European brews of known and accepted provenance will be referred
to as Lager. New Zealand beer is also acceptable, as New Zealand is pound for
10. Hollywood will be required occasionally to cast English actors as good
guys. Hollywood will also be required to cast English actors to play English
characters. Watching Andie Macdowell attempt English dialogue in Four
11. You will cease playing American football. There are only two kinds of
proper football; one you call soccer, and rugby (dominated by the New
Zealanders). Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play
rugby (which has some similarities to American football, but does not
involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full
kevlar body armour like a bunch of nancies).
12. Further, you will stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host
an event called the World Series for a game which is not played outside of
America. Since only 2.1% of you are aware there is a world beyond your
sting out of their deliveries.
13. You must tell us who killed JFK. It's been driving us mad.
14. An internal revenue agent (i.e. tax collector) from Her Majesty's
Government will be with you shortly to ensure the acquisition of all monies
15. Daily Tea Time begins promptly at 4 p.m. with proper cups, with
saucers, and never mugs, with high quality biscuits (cookies) and cakes;
plus strawberries (with cream) when in season.
God Save the Queen!