Kuala Lumpur City Hall’s (DBKL) project to turn Jalan Alor in the city centre into a food haven will go on despite Utusan Malaysia’s criticism, Federal Territories Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor said today.
He said the project, which aims to promote Jalan Alor as a street food haven in KL’s Golden Triangle to tourists, should be viewed in a “positive light”.
“We’ll go ahead with it,” Tengku Adnan (picture) told The Malay Mail Online after meeting Federal Territories lawmakers across the political divide here.
The editors of Malay broadsheet Mingguan Malaysia — the Sunday edition of Umno-owned Utusan Malaysia — had in an editorial yesterday panned the project, saying only the Chinese community would benefit.
Writing under the shared “Awang Selamat” moniker, the paper's editors claimed a strong Chinese image in the Bukit Bintang area already made it resemble Hong Kong.
The newspaper also attacked Chinese voters, saying that they have never supported the Barisan Nasional (BN) government and that giving them “the moon and the stars” would not garner further appreciation.
Bukit Bintang MP Fong Kui Lun said separately today that Jalan Alor played an “important role” in attracting tourists.
“It’ll benefit the country, not just the Chinese,” Fong told reporters after the meeting with Tengku Adnan today.
“Last year, tourists spent RM60 billion,” added the DAP lawmaker.
Last month, KL Mayor Datuk Seri Ahmad Phesal Talib announced a project to upgrade Jalan Alor into a “food paradise of international standards”.
Ahmad Phesal had said that quality furniture, including an efficient waste disposal and water system, would be provided to merchants to preserve the hygiene in the former red-light district.
The project to upgrade Jalan Alor to become the global “Food Paradise” is scheduled to begin in October and is expected to be completed 11 months later.
[Source : themalaymailonline.com]