Monday, July 18, 2016

3 reasons why foreigners find it difficult to learn Mandarin Chinese

Foreigners are not the only ones who find it difficult to learn Mandarin Chinese.  Even me, a person of Chinese origin, seem to be suffering from a mental block on the language.

I spent the first two years of my primary schooling in a Chinese school.  The results were a zilch, and a big one at that.  I was so relieved that when it came to my third year, I was sent to an English school.  Later on, in Form 4, I decided to enrol myself in a Mandarin class under the POL system.  After four months, I was told by my 'lao tzu' not to attend class anymore.  I admit, I am totally hopeless and I simply can't seem to remove the mental block in my head.  Strangely, I don't find it difficult to learn Japanese.  After all they use almost the same characters as Mandarin which is known as 'Kanji'.  Thank God, at least I am able to write my Chinese name in Mandarin.  I can see now my ancestors shaking their heads in Heaven.

So, Michael (Phelps), you are not alone.


No comments:

Post a Comment