Sunday, October 10, 2010

Mahathir, the Musical

When I read about "Mahathir, The Musical" in the Malaysian Chronicle, I couldn't help but to put my two cents worth to this condescending effort by the people involved in the production. I wonder what Andrew Lloyd Webber has to say about the play? Maybe "Cats" will be pale in comparison?

Anyway, for such a play to have some meaning, the casts will need to sing a song or two depending on the scene at that moment. So I asked myself, "What was Mahathir famous for during his 22years as prime minister of this country that one can relate a song to?". Here are some of the scenes with the casts singing the related songs in full gusto. I wonder whether maestro Johari Salleh is involved in this project as well?

NEPOTISM - He ain't heavy, he's my brother.
CROYNISM - That's what friends are for.
MONEY POLITICS - Money [The Beatles]
IBRAHIM ALI TO MAHATHIR - Stand by me.
INVOLVEMENT IN CURRENT POLITICS - Silence is golden [The Tremeloes]
BUILDING THE TWIN TOWERS - Ain't no mountain high enough.
REFUSAL TO RETIRE FROM POLITICS - Let's hang on [The Four Seasons]
AS BN/UMNO FALTER - It's sign of the times [Petula Clark], followed by "The Final Countdown" [Europe].
HIS ADVICE TO UMNO - All or nothing [The Small Faces]
CORRUPTION IN UMNO - Help yourself [Tom Jones]
HIS ASSOCIATION WITH VINCENT TAN: Vincent [Don McClean]
HALIM SAAD AND TAJUDDIN RAMLI (doing a duet, praising Mahathir) - You raise me up [Josh Gorban]
IMF TO MAHATHIR (overcoming the 1997 $ crisis without IMF loan) - How do you do it [Gerry & The Pacemakers]
MAHATHIR'S DESPISE FOR LIM KIT SIANG - Rocket Man [Elton John]
LOVE FOR SITI HASMAH - Only you.

If the above are included, I do not mind spending my hard earned ringgit to see the irony of this man.

No comments:

Post a Comment