Sunday, December 5, 2010

If UMNO regain Selangor, we will pay more for our water. The rot has to stop.

Tear gas, water canons fired at Pakatan crowd protesting SYABAS bailout

For the unbelievers - look again at the depth of the crowd!
Police fired tear gas and water cannons at some 10,000 people comprising mostly Pakatan Rakyat supporters trying to hand over a memorandum to the King to protest the federal government's bailout of SYABAS, a water distribution firm controlled by Umno crony Rozali Ismail.

Among Pakatan leaders who came to appeal to the King to advise Prime Minister Najib Razak to return the water rights of the Selangor people back to their state government were PKR deputy-president Azmin Ali, Mentri Besar Khalid Ibrahim, state exco Dr Xavier Jeyakumar and DAP MP for Klang Charles Santiago.

DAP's Ronnie Liu, PAS MP for Kuala Selangor Dr Dzulkifli Ahmad, PKR vice president Tian Chua and youth leader Badrul Hisham were also present.

Was this necessary? The crowd was huge but clearly peaceful
The pro-Pakatan crowd gathered at the Masjid Negara or National Mosque, while another group led by a pro-Umno NGO had made Merdeka Stadium or the National Stadium its base.

SYABAS raised tariffs

Selangor MB Khalid told the cheering crowd more than 250,000 people had already signed the petition to the King. SYABAS had also increased tariff by 37 percent last year, Khalid revealed, turning the applause into loud boos for the firm and Rozali.

The SYABAS chief has been accused of arrogant behavior and unabashed courtship of top Umno leaders to support his plans for monopolizing the state's water rights.

The Pakatan protesters had gathered at the National Mosque since 9am and began their march to the Palace a few kilometres away at about 1.30pm.

Return to us our rights
They were approaching the railway station when Federal Reserve Unit personnel blocked their way. But they refused to retreat, shouting 'Hidup Rakyat' and appealing to the police to let them pass as it was a peaceful march.

However, the police retaliated by firing round after round of tear gas and chemical-laced water at them, forcing many to scamper for cover.

Earlier in the day, police had set up roadblocks leading to the Palace in anticipation of the rally. They also guarded the maze of small roads in the vicinity of the National Mosque, where thousands had gathered to await word from the organizers to begin the walk to the Palace.

City police chief Datuk Zulkifli Abdullah told reporters he had informed Khalid that the march had not been approved. His men have picked up at least three people for questioning in connection with the protest.

[Source: Malaysia Chronicle]

No comments:

Post a Comment