Saturday, December 4, 2010

Nostalgic Weekend - Western Union Band, Singapore

I have never heard of the group until some time in the mid-seventies when I the song "Living next door to Alice", a Smokie original, was played during a friend's home party. I made enquiry about the group and I was told that it was the Western Union Band (or WUB for short) from Singapore. In fact, they have been around since the late sixties and have recorded a hit track "Sausolito" which, somehow or other, escaped my notice. Anyway, I subsequently bought the album and I must admit it was worth my hard-earned (then) RM11.50. So who are the members who made up of the group?

The Western Union Band, featuring Chris Vadham, Danny Lim, Abel Gan, Peter Mangkok and Daniel Wee. Their first LP, produced by Reggie Verghese [lead guitarist of The Quests], included tracks like Howzat, Slipping Away, Movie Star, Wise Man, We All Fall In Love Sometimes, Needles & Pins, Come Together, Living Next Door To Alice, Nights Are Forever, First Cut Is The Deepest, Paper Roses Paper Dreams, Did You Boogie, Stand By Me & Sausolito. The second LP, managed by Jap Chong [also of The Quests], offered tracks like Yesterday's Sorrow, When You Walk In The Room, You Keep Me Running, Free Me, Ain't Nothing Gonna Keep Me From You, Takin' Care Of Business, I've Got Love, You Are The Woman, Every Kinda Of People, How Can This Be Love, I Will Still Love You, I Can't Hold On & Dust In The Wind.

Christ Vadham, however, went solo and made a name for himself.

Here are my three favourite tracks:







PREVIOUS BLOG FEATURES:

The Saints, Kuala Lumpur
The Quests, Singapore
The "Little" Falcons, Kuala Lumpur
The Crescendos, Singapore
Rose Iwanaga, Sarawak
Naomi & The Boys, Singapore
Rocky Teoh, Ipoh
The Surfers/October Cherries, Singapore
Janice Wee, Sarawak
Roy Chew & The Merrylads, Kuala Lumpur
The Checkmates, Singapore
Terry Thaddeus and The Teenage Hunters, Kuala Lumpur

The Thunderbirds, Singapore

The Straydogs, Singapore
The Strollers, Kuala Lumpur

No comments:

Post a Comment