Thursday, July 21, 2011

Anak Mamak disrupts press meet, rains abuses

First, read the news report which took place on June 29 2011. Then view the video at the bottom of this posting to see for yourself the kind of monkey this Mamak Ghani is making of himself. Someone should have thrown him some bananas. At least ACP Gan Kong Ming was stern with him by telling him to behave himself and yet while the press interview was going on, he continued to make such a ruckus so as to disrupt the session.

GEORGE TOWN: Several members from the unregistered Suara Anak-Anak Mamak Pulau Pinang disrupted a Bersih-related press conference and hurled abuses against members of a coalition of civil society here today.

Led by its chief Mohamed Ghani Abd Jiman, they hurled abuses against the civil society coalition members, including former state executive councillor Toh Kin Woon.

While Toh was speaking to reporters near the state police headquarters this afternoon, the group, among others, shouted “Go back to your country if you want to complain”, “Don’t eat shit eat rice”, “You seem old and about to die, go home” and “We are here to protect the law and order, and sovereignty of the country”.

Earlier, Toh led some 10 civil society members to submit a memorandum to state police chief Ayub Yaakob. The memorandum was received by Ayub’s representative ASP M Selvi.

Although Ghani and his gang were hurling abuses against Toh and the others in front of the police headquarters, police personnel just watched the commotion for most of the time.

George Town police chief ACP Gan Kong Meng, who was present, later intervened and told both Ghani and Toh as well as the rest to leave the place.

As Toh proceeded to continue his press conference outside the nearby Mydin Supermarket, Ghani and his gang again hurled abuses.

Earlier, Ghani and his group scared off a Bersih 2.0 female activist while she was distributing copies of the memorandum to newsmen. The female activist hurriedly left the place fearing for her safety.

This is the second time within 12 hours that rowdy groups had disrupted a Bersih gathering.

Last night, PSM members faced a similar situation with a huge group of rowdy youths outside the northern Seberang Perai police headquarters.

PSM submits memorandum

This morning, PSM secretary-general S Arutchelvan led a party delegation to hand over a separate memorandum to the state police chief.

Both memorandums touched on the detention of 30 PSM activists on Saturday while they were travelling in a tour bus along the North-South Expressway.

The memorandums contained complaints of poor condition of police lock-ups, harassment of detainees, lack of water supply and medical treatment.

The memorandums also called on the police to release the detainees at least on police bail.

Remand ruling tomorrow

Meanwhile, the Penang High Court will decide tomorrow on the application for a judicial revision on their seven-day remand by 30 PSM detainees, including Sungai Siput MP Dr Michael Jeyakumar Devaraj.

The PSM detainees want the court to release them immediately from the current remand from June 26 to July 2.

Judge Zamani Abdul Rahim said he would deliver his decision at 11am tomorrow. Today he heard arguments from both lawyers for the detainees and the prosecution in a packed courtroom for two hours starting at 2.30pm.

At least 100 people also gathered outside the court room to support the PSM detainees.

The detainees applied for the revision on the grounds that the police did not have sufficient material evidence to investigate them under Section 122 of the Penal Code with allegedly waging a war against the King.

“Even the Agong would laugh if told that old ladies were detained in suspicion of waging war against him,” defence lawyer CV Prabakaran told the judge.

[Source: FMT]

Click the following link to view video.

No comments:

Post a Comment