Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Dumber than dumb

I AM a medical doctor who was educated overseas and worked in Australia for several years. Recently I decided to return to Malaysia to serve the country.

As a professional working overseas I heard about this programme about encouraging Malaysian citizens with expertise to return to the country and I applied for it.

I was very disappointed when they rejected my application on the grounds that it was sent after I have returned to Malaysia.

Apparently it was meant to be submitted while I was still in Australia.

I find this a very poor excuse given the fact that Malaysia is trying to lure back its citizens to work for the country.

It discourages professionals like me from having to bear the burden to return but not having any perks or encouraging incentives.

Furthermore, my parents bore my exorbitant medical tuition fees and I did not receive any government loans whatsoever to do my study.

Besides that, it took me a great deal of effort to locate the application form which was hidden in the catacombic archives of one of the governmental websites.

I can see why many of my colleagues are hesitant to return and serve the Government given the unimpressive, unattractive attitude and to top it all, the obvious poor remuneration and working conditions.

Thankfully, I still have the option to return to Australia.

DISAPPOINTED DOCTOR,
Kuala Lumpur.

(This letter was first published in The Star. MM is reproducing it here with the hope that the writer's predicament may be acted upon swiftly by the authorities.)

No comments:

Post a Comment